ACCT 551 DeVry Midterm Exam
ACCT 551 DeVry Midterm Exam
1. (TCO C) Under current accounting practice, intangible assets are classified as
2. (TCO C) Which of the following intangible assets should not be amortized?
3. (TCO C) The intangible asset goodwill may be
4. (TCO C) ELO Corporation purchased a patent for $90,000 on September 1, 2008. It had a useful life of ten years. On January 1, 2010, ELO spent $22,000 to successfully defend the patent in a lawsuit. ELO feels that as of that date, the remaining useful life is five years. What amount should be reported for patent amortization expense for 2010?
5. (TCO C) During 2011, Bond Company purchased the net assets of May Corporation for $1,000,000. On the date of the transaction, May had $300,000 of liabilities. The fair value of May’s assets when acquired were as follows:
6. (TCO D) Which of the following is a condition for accruing a liability for the cost of compensation for future absences?
7. (TCO D) Under what conditions is an employer required to accrue a liability for sick pay?
8. (TCO D) Information available prior to the issuance of the financial statements indicates that it is probable that, at the date of the financial statements, a liability has been incurred for obligations related to product warranties. The amount of the loss involved can be reasonably estimated. Based on the above facts, an estimated loss contingency should be
9. (TCO D) Stine Co. is a retail store operating in a state with a 6% retail sales tax. The retailer may keep 2% of the sales tax collected. Stine Co. records the sales tax in the Sales account. The amount recorded in the Sales account during May was $148,400.
The amount of sales taxes (to the nearest dollar) for May is
10. (TCO D) Vargas Company has 35 employees who work eight-hour days and are paid hourly. On January 1, 2009, the company began a program of granting its employees ten days of paid vacation each year. Vacation days earned in 2009 may first be taken on January 1, 2010. Information relative to these employees is as follows:
Vargas has chosen to accrue the liability for compensated absences at the current rates of pay in effect when the compensated time is earned.
What is the amount of the accrued liability for compensated absences that should be reported at December 31, 2011?
11. (TCO D) Reich, Inc. issued bonds with a maturity amount of $200,000 and a maturity ten years from date of issue. If the bonds were issued at a premium, this indicates that
12. (TCO D) The printing costs and legal fees associated with the issuance of bonds should
13. (TCO D) Feller Company issues $20,000,000 of ten-year, 9% bonds on March 1, 2010 at 97 plus accrued interest. The bonds are dated January 1, 2010, and pay interest on June 30 and December 31. What is the total cash received on the issue date?
14. (TCO D) A company issues $20,000,000, 7.8%, 20-year bonds to yield 8% on January 1, 2010. Interest is paid on June 30 and December 31. The proceeds from the bonds are $19,604,145. What is interest expense for 2011, using straight-line amortization?
15. (TCO D) On January 1, Martinez Inc. issued $3,000,000, 11% bonds for $3,195,000. The market rate of interest for these bonds is 10%. Interest is payable annually on December 31. Martinez uses the effective-interest method of amortizing bond premium. At the end of the first year, Martinez should report unamortized bond premium of: